Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chicken Heart Soup...mmm


After cleaning ourselves up from the plane ride and catching a good night's sleep, Brandon and I decided to explore the city of Quito. The city is just like any other big city in the world, but there's a new part of town and an old part. We ventured over to old town via trolley and checked out a few parks and an Andy Warhol exhibit at a museum (it only cost $1 each).

The first highlight of the day occurred while we were having lunch. In Ecuador, lunch is the largest meal of the day. Most times lunch is a set menu consisting of soup, main course, dessert, and juice. At $1.30 per person we weren't exactly sure what to expect.

The first course came out (soup) and looked just as innocent as any other soup I'd seen in my 27 years on this earth. At first taste it was pretty delicious. At about my third spoonful into the soup I came across a piece of meat that looked a bit curious. Not feeling too daring I dumped the meat back into the soup and tried for another spoonful. Yet again, a strange looking piece of meat was on my spoon...this was different than the first, but was strangely similar to the first. Upon further examination of both pieces of meat I found an aorta on each. Not wanting to come to terms with what might have been marinating in my lunch, I had Brandon take a closer look and he confirmed that I had two chicken hearts in my soup.

Did I eat them? Hell no. Just couldn't stomach biting into atriums and ventricles. Did I eat the rest of the soup? Of course...I wouldn't let the entire $1.30 go to waste.

No comments: